Fasolada is a traditional Greek dish that has some good properties for the human organism. It concentrates in its interior a good amount of essential nutrients, which contributes to reduce the risk of deficiency. In addition, it is a very tasty dish. It is not difficult to prepare, so we will show you how to make it at home.
Keep in mind that legumes are foods that have to be introduced into the diet on a regular basis. Almost all nutrition experts recommend their consumption at least a couple of times a week. In the case of fasolada, white beans are used. These are available both dried and canned, in a brine that increases their shelf life.
Ingredients for fasolada
To prepare an authentic Greek fasolada you will need the following ingredients:
- 400 grams of dried white beans.
- 2 large carrots.
- 2 purple onions.
- Two ripe tomatoes.
- 1 glass of extra virgin olive oil.
- A stick of celery.
- Pepper and salt to taste.
With these quantities you will be able to prepare enough portions for 4 people. Keep in mind that the quality of the beans will significantly influence the final result. It is possible to find them in different sizes, although in this case it is always advisable to opt for the dry version rather than the canned one.
Step by step
- Soak the beans to soften them. This should be done for a period of 24 hours, so we recommend soaking them the night before to prepare the dish late the next day.
- Once this step is over, heat water in a saucepan and add the beans before they reach boiling point. The water should cover the beans.
- At the same time, cut the carrot into slices, once peeled. Chop the onions and peel the tomatoes, removing all the seeds.
- Chop the tomatoes into relatively small pieces. Clean the celery and chop it.
- When all the vegetables are ready, add them to the pot with the water and add the olive oil, salt and pepper to taste.
- Let it simmer. However, keep in mind that it will be necessary to increase the amount of water gradually to prevent the ingredients from sticking or burning. Also, it will be good to stir occasionally with a wooden utensil.
- As soon as the beans are soft, turn off the heat. This may take at least a couple of hours. In any case, it is essential that they are not overcooked, since otherwise they could break and thus lose quality in terms of texture.
On the other hand, it is possible to add parsley or bay leaf to improve the flavor. Of course, the dish should always be eaten hot.
Keep in mind that fasolada can be frozen or stored in the refrigerator for a couple of days. This will increase its shelf life. To reheat it, it is possible to use the microwave or serve it in earthenware casseroles and place them over medium heat.
Contraindications of fasolada
Fasolada is considered a healthy preparation. Even so, in certain cases its intake could be inadvisable. It should be borne in mind that legumes can produce gas when consumed in excess. In this case, it is best to ensure a correct cooking process so that the fibers cause the least possible digestive problems.
On the other hand, people suffering from chronic intestinal pathologies or dysbiosis may experience an increase in symptoms from the inclusion of large amounts of fiber in the diet. It is best to consult with a nutrition expert to optimize the diet and thus achieve an efficient management of each disease.
If you notice that you experience digestive alterations after the consumption of legumes or products with a lot of fiber, we recommend that you visit the specialist. Also if gas causes you pain.
A treatment with probiotics may be necessary to increase the diversity of bacteria that live in the digestive tract, which will allow lighter and more efficient digestions.